John Lennon was a legend whose work and life inspire generations worldwide. As an influential singer, songwriter, and peace campaigner, he founded the Beatles – probably the first rock n’ roll band in the world.
The Beatles star, who was born in Liverpool on October 9, 1940, had his life tragically cut short when he was shot dead in Manhattan, aged 40.
He penned more than 100 songs and, together with the Beatles, sold more than 600 million albums worldwide.
Lennon knew how influential and inspiring he was, so he devoted his life to sending positive messages to the world.
His pro-peace aesthetic and revolutionary sound clearly opposed any kind of violence, and the adept lyrics and catchy tunes managed to touch the hearts of millions of fans with his message of peace.
He reached out to the whole world with his music, convincing people to speak out against what’s wrong in society and to fight for a better world.
Today, his legend lives on, and so do his thought-provoking words.
Here are some of his most thoughtful, touching and right-on quotes, which are all more poignant since his passing.
1. All you need is love.
2. We can’t help everyone, but everyone can help someone.
3. What we’ve got to do is keep hope alive. Because without it we’ll sink.
4. If we cannot love ourselves, we cannot fully open to our ability to love others or our potential to create.
5. Happiness is inside you not with another person.
6. Peace is not something you wish for; It’s something you make, something you do, something you are, and something you give away.
7. Everything will be okay in the end. If it’s not okay, it’s not the end.
8. Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans.
9. Imagine all the people living life in peace. You may say I’m a dreamer, but I’m not the only one. I hope someday you’ll join us, and the world will be as one.
10. When I cannot sing my heart, I can only speak my mind.
11. You don’t need anybody to tell you who you are or what you are. You are what you are!
12. Everything is clearer when you’re in love.
13. I believe time wounds all heels.
14. A mistake is only an error; it becomes a mistake when you fail to correct it.
15. Trying to please everybody is impossible – if you did that, you’d end up in the middle with nobody liking you. You’ve just got to make the decision about what you think is your best, and do it.