A newborn baby in Britain almost died after contracting herpes virus on his eye after someone kissed him during a christening celebration.

Noah Tindle, at just 4-weeks-old, was with his mother, Ashleigh White, when the mom noticed her baby’s eye had swollen, blistered, and was watering.

First, the 21-year-old mom sought advice from a health visitor in September last year who told her that his son’s condition was probably blocked tear duct.

But after a few days, the baby’s condition worsened, and Ashleigh noticed blisters around the newborn’s eye. The worried mom took her baby to the doctors straight away, fearing he was suffering from herpes.

Herpes is a sexually transmitted infection that can be spread from the victim to a healthy person through cold sores.

Noah was taken to the hospital, where his mother expressed her fears to the doctors.

Ashleigh explained:

“I’d read something on Facebook about another baby having the virus and the blisters looked exactly the same.”

“What I didn’t realise is that even if you don’t have an active cold sore, you still do carry the virus in your system and saliva, meaning you can never be too careful.”

After a series of tests, doctors confirmed Noah had contracted Herpes Simplex Virus 1 (HSV-1).

Doctors also told Ashleigh that it was likely the baby caught the virus through a kiss from an adult. The fist-mum recalled it must have happened at a christening ceremony they had five days earlier.

She said:

“He was only four weeks old.”

“We went to a christening where friends were holding and kissing him – it could have been any of them.”

Due to Ashleigh quick alert and taking the baby to the doctor, the virus was treated early before getting worse.

Ashleigh said:

“We managed to catch it before it could enter his bloodstream. He couldn’t open his eyes for days.”

HSV-1, also known as the cold sore virus, isn’t harmful to adults, but it can be fatal to babies. It weakens the kids’ immune system.

The infection can also spread quickly to a baby’s brain, causing multiple organs failure and ultimately, death.

Noah was referred to Sheffield Children’s Hospital to be fitted with a special line that would allow doctors to administer antiviral drugs intravenously.

The mom said:

“He spent two hours in theatre for what should have been a half hour operation, because he was so tiny.”

“He was then to be on the prophylactic antiviral for six months.”

“Unfortunately, he had a re-occurrence in March and again went through the same thing, two weeks of intense antivirals, and now he won’t be off of his medication until March 2020.”

“We still have a long way to go yet before we’re out of the dark.”

Mum Ashleigh chose to share the baby’s story on social media, raising awareness, and warning other parents.

“I just want to make more people aware of the risks and consequences of kissing a baby, especially a newborn, when you suffer cold sores.”

“It is heartbreaking to see your baby so poorly.”

“I was lucky enough to catch it in time, and still have my little boy with me today, other parents might not be so lucky.”

“I would do anything to stop other families going through what we did, so please, please, please don’t kiss newborns.”