It might not come as a surprise to many that a lot of nauseating things go on behind the scenes in McDonald’s restaurants, but the fact that an employee lost his job for exposing this fact is certainly interesting. And that is precisely what happened to a McDonald’s employee from Laplace in Louisiana.

Nick, the fired employee, shared a tweet showing how dirty the ice cream machine at the outlet he worked at was. The social media post quickly went viral. It showed sludge and black hold that the machine had.

The employee went on to explain that the machines are supposed to get regular clean ups from the managers, but he had never seen it happen even once.

It was apparent that what the picture showed should have no connection to food. But his firing was meant to serve as a warning to employees who might feel the urge to expose the company in a similar manner.

In fact, other employees went on a frenzy and began taking pictures of ice cream machines at the locations they worked at. All across the board, the problem seemed commonplace.

However, McDonald’s came ahead of the situation by making it clear that the part shown did not touch the ice cream in any way.

But Nick also explained that other health code violations went on at the restaurant. For instance, dropped food was often picked up and put back on the bun.

He did not stop there. He went on to share photos of food before it is cooked and served. This particular post explained that people were eating food “fresh out the freezer.”

Another investigation proved that McDonald’s was making major health code violations in many of its locations. For instance, in some cases, there was no trained and certified food handler to do the job as the law often requires in many states.

But McDonald’s is hardly alone in perpetrating these violations. KFC and Burger King were found to be much worse when the BBC conducted a study and found out that ice at these fast food restaurants was contaminated with bacteria.

While still on the issue of bacteria, another study showed that the touchscreens that customers use at several McDonald’s locations had fecal bacteria all over them. This is a serious problem that could result in serious infections to those who come into contact with these microorganisms.

Several locations were tested, and many had serious kinds of bacteria that are capable of causing the kind of infections that people would get in hospitals.

The only ray of hope in his horrifying series of events is that fast food is not as popular as it once was. This is especially so for younger people who prefer healthier food.

In fact, in 2015, McDonald’s had to shut down over 700 stores, and it went on to experience a 28% drop in operating revenue.

The newest CEO to the company, Steve Easterbrook, vowed to make broad changes to the company to ensure that the establishment’s reputation experienced an improvement.

According to Mr. Easterbrook, the company needs to focus on meeting the needs of its clients.